Labels

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Well Fudge - My Router Doesnt Do Port VLANs

Ok, just went through some sites looking for solutions on how I can do a port - trunk metaphor with my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router.  It turns out that because it uses an Atheros chipset, it doesn't have the ability to separate out the ports from one another.  So if I set up a tagged (802.1Q) vlan on one port, all of the ports will have the same tagging applied to them.  I wish I had known this when I first bought the router.

Now I have re-arranged my network setup to only have one port into the Buffalo router which will be trunk fed, i.e. all the packets will have tags.  I will also be able to have separate DHCP servers for each tagged vlan to put the addresses into separate subnets.  The other two routers I have are Linksys WRT54GLs which have Broadcom chipsets and will support the port - trunk metaphor.  They are 100MHz ethernet but that is less important in the lower portions of my network.  So with a little re-arrangement I have resolved the main issue.  Now I can use the Netgear managed switch to force my little vlans to appear.

-- LW