Labels

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Built up the pan-tilt camera unit and distance sensor sweep

It's Saturday and I was given the chance to,work on some Robotic elements that I have been neglecting. I took about an hour to make up
a Pan/Tilt unit with some spare servos that I had laying around. I was also able to make up a sensor sweep with an additional servo. The two units look like this (sorry for the poor picture quality, crappy camera on the iPad):





The Pan/Tilt unit on the left has a servo mounted vertically for Pan and a servo mounted horizontally for Tilt. The webcam is a Microsoft Lifecam with a IDE field of view and a built in microphone. Here is a close up.





The servo mounts are some that I had left over from two years ago when I was diddling with Robotics. The sweep unit uses one servo mounted vertically.





The L shaped bracket has an IR distance sensor mounted on it. I am hoping to interface these two units to a Palolu Maestro servo controller. I did see where someone had written a Python library to control the Maestro using ROS. So now you know what direction that I am headed.