Labels

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Stupid RPi Tip #3 - have a standard setup in mind

Along with the idea of tagging the SD Cards, you should always have a standard setup in mind when putting together a fresh SD card.  I would go with the following elements (assuming a Raspbian build):
(1) setup the SD card to expand the partition to the limit of what is available on the SD card (from "sudo raspi-config")
(2) make sure that the keyboard is setup for your country (in my case I changed the /etc/default/keyboard from "gb" to "us")
(3) turn on SSH access (from "sudo raspi-config")
(4) install a VNC server (from "sudo apt-get install tightvncserver")
(5) boot up in  GUI mode (from "sudo raspi-config")
(6) setup wireless access, if you normally connect this way, otherwise Ethernet is usually better (I keep an Ethernet hub on the table with my RPis).