Labels

Thursday, February 28, 2013

How about a streaming point for a VGA projector?

I have an issue that has always bugged me, streaming a presentation from an iPad 2 to a VGA projector.  This would require the RPi to first of all be a Wireless Access Port to allow the iPad to connect to it.  Secondly, this would require the iPad to stream the VGA signal to the RPi in some sort of fashion.  I have seen other setups of this nature which would place the presentation on the wifi device for streaming, or to have a VNC server on a laptop which the wifi device accesses for streaming to the projector.  There is a real difficulty with this setup in that the iPad does not like to play nice with other things.  I could have used an Apple TV to do the streaming but it requires a third party wifi access port which both the ATV and the iPad are connected to.  I want to eliminate one device in the chain.  So how do I do this?

Video streaming in AirPlay has not been cracked yet.  Those keys are still pretty proprietary as well as the overall protocol.  In addition, the ATV2 is geared for 720p and the ATV3 is geared for 1080p (I am looking for something in the 1024x768 range) - so their usage might not be the best even if I don't resolve this with the RPi.  I may be barking up a tree that does not contain a squirrel here.

Update:  I stumbled across an article that claims AirPlay can be streamed to the RPi with Raspbmc at www.hanselman.com.  I will have to try this to see if it works!