Labels

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Stupid RPi Tip #1 - Tag Your SD Cards

SD cards are becoming more and more available in larger and larger sizes for cheap. As a result, you may find yourself deciding to keep separate experiments on different cards. This often results in a plethora of cards laying around on the table along with their holders in separate piles. I am exaggerating here but I have 10 SD cards lying on my test setup table right now. The other problem is that you are constantly adding things to the images and even overwriting the card contents. We have already learned what to do with keeping disk drives organized, but what about these cards?
What I have learned to do is to label the cards and the SD card containers. I serialize each card by attaching a label with a number (one up from the previous numbered card). This can be done to the front or the back (if it's on the back, you can read the number when it's in the RPi). I make sure that the number is in ink, I don't put anything else on the card itself. I can always refer to this specific card because it has a unique number. In fact, as I am taking notes on an experiment, I can refer to it as SD#n, and i don't get confused. On the SD card case, I put a label strip but now I switch to a pencil and put the version of the original image (e.g., Raspian 10/28/12) along with the number on the SD card (circled in pencil). As I make changes to what is on the card, I can add the change in pencil.
Trust me, this will keep you from getting confused about what card goes with what project. The SD card slot does not interfere with the label as long as the label is on the front. It doesn't have to be a big label, only big enough to have the number on it.

Update:  I found out that Avery 5412 labels can be used on both a micro-SD and the adapter.  I would use them to record the number of the SD card and put what version and changes on the label in the cover.  In this case, the micro-SD label will show up on the bottom and is visible so that you know which SD is in the RPi.