Labels

Monday, February 11, 2013

Put up most of the Test Setup this weekend

This weekend I had a little time to try getting my things in order.  I used most of the time to put together a Test Setup in one of the downstairs bedrooms.


I basically took a keyboard stand and placed a 2' by 4' piece of 3/4" plywood on it.  Then I started strapping down other items.  I put my Robotic Arm on a roll around stand to the left of the setup.  I spent most of the time updating and then upgrading each of the three RPis.  I also added a tightvnc server to each of them and made sure the keyboard was US and the bootup goes right directly into the GUI.  I should probably change this to coming up to the command line and then as I need it, bring up the GUI with "startx".  I can do this by executing "sudo raspi-config" from the command line and selecting the GUI to not boot up.  I made sure that each of the RPis have an SSH server running.  I did discover two things over the weekend:

(1) strangely enough, the HDMI-to-VGA cable (the cheapest one that I could get) worked just fine with my VGA monitor.
(2) I discovered that a cable only 4-port USB hub (unpowered) was able to be used to pass power to two RPis at the same time, thereby freeing up one port on the power supply.

I also checked the serial cable, it is based upon an sl2303 chipset.  It seemed to recognize the cable, although I have not checked out the workings of the servos via the SSC-32 yet.